Happy Halloween! Enjoy a tofu hand!
As disgusting as this looks, the tofu hand actually tastes really good. You could use the same recipe, but instead of making a tofu hand do a tofu scramble. One hand is enough for two people.
- 24 oz extra firm tofu (2 twelve oz packs)
- 1 cup mushrooms diced (5-6 mushrooms)
- ½ cup onions diced
- ½ cup BBQ sauce + extra for glazing
- 3 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
- 2 tablespoons snake bitten rub
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 5 almond slices
- Cut each piece of tofu in half and place between some paper towels. Gently press on the tofu to remove some moisture. Grab a large bowl and using your fingers, crumble the tofu. Add the paprika and snake bitten rub. Mix well
- Dice the onions and mushrooms. Add butter to a medium sized pan and melt. Add onions and mushrooms, saute until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- In a large pan over medium heat, add ¾ of the tofu mixture. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let cool for 10 minutes and add back to the tofu mixture. Stir in the vital wheat gluten.
- Preheat your oven to 400. Grab a baking pan and rub butter to prevent sticking. Form a hand with the tofu mixture. Start with the palm and then fingers. Baste with BBQ sauce and top with panco. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Push the sliced almonds into the top of each finger. These are the fingernails!