One of my favorite Asian condiments is Tuong ot toi viet nam chili garlic sauce (I’m not even going to attempt saying that out loud) . This stuff is so good, but with everything store bought, it has a bunch of preservatives.
The first time I made this chili garlic sauce, I was sold. As much as I like Tuong ot toi viet nam chili garlic sauce, homemade is so much better. You can taste the freshness of it.
Grab a head of garlic and peal off 6 cloves. This might seem like a lot, but we are looking to get intense flavors here. There’s only 3 ingredients and you want a BAM when the flavors hit your mouth. No mansy pansy stuff here.
The Fresno chili pepper is a medium-sized cultivar of Capsicum annuum. It is similar to the Jalapeño pepper, but contains thinner walls. The fruit starts out bright green changing to orange and red as fully matured. A mature Fresno pepper will be conical in shape, 2 inches long, and about 1 inch in diameter at the stem. The plants do well in warm to hot temperatures and dry climates with long sunny summer days and cool nights. They are very cold-sensitive, but disease resistant reaching a height of 24 to 30 inches. – source wikipedia
After the 2 minutes are up, rinse with cold water. Cut the stems off the peppers and add to a food processor or blender, along with the garlic, unsweetened rice vinegar and salt. Depending on the size of you food processor or blender, you might want to chop the peppers in half first. Pulse until you have a nice coarse mixture.
Note: The seeds will factor in how hot this will be. I personally like my chili garlic sauce really hot, so I added all the seeds. If you prefer a bit milder (it will still be hot), remove some of the seeds before pureeing.
Next, we are not going to fully cook the peppers, but we do want to remove that raw pepper taste. Add the mixture to a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil. Once it starts to boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 1o minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
And there you have it, Atomic Chili Garlic Sauce! You will want the flavors to blend for at least 2 hours before serving.
Recipe adoption from Tuong Ot Toi.
- 10 fresno chili peoppers
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened rice vinegar
- pinch of salt
- Add water to a large size pot and bring to a rapid boil.
- With the stem on, add the fresno chili peppers & garlic cloves. Boil for 2 minutes and rinse with cold water.
- Cut the stems off the fresno chili peppers and chop in half.
- Add the fresno chili peppers, garlic cloves, rice vinegar & salt to a food processor or blender (the more seeds, the hotter this will be. If you want less heat, remove some of the seeds).
- Pulse several times until you have a coarse paste.
- Poor the pureed mixture into a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the raw pepper smell has dissipated.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Let the flavors meld for 2 hours before serving.